Hopefully I can write a more thorough post after reading this opinions in full, but for now.
1. The federal government has to recognize all same-sex marriages in states that offer them.
2. This means the immigration bill is by default going to have to recognize these couples.
3. It also means gay couples in the states that offer same-sex marriages have all the federal rights and responsibilities of marriage (including joint taxes).
4. Those states that currently offer marriage to same-sex couples are Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Washington, Maryland, Maine, the District of Columbia.
5. And within the next few months this list will include Minnesota, Delaware, and Rhode Island…
6. And California.